Monday, September 19, 2011

Ween vs. Wean

For my first post, I'm going to let loose about ween and wean. Being a mother, to wean a child from a habit that has been used a crutch for a while is something that comes up continuously... and that's the problem. The word WEEN is what I'm constantly seeing. It's so trivial BUT DRIVES ME CRAZY. It beginning to make me cringe as much as the 'you're/your or their/they're/there. < I think I start twitching with every incorrectly spelled/grammatically incorrect word/comment. I'm not exactly sure why people use ween instead of wean... it's one of those things that makes me shake my head and scrunch up my face.

Wean: verb [ trans. ]
accustom (an infant or other young mammal) to food other than itsmother's milk.• accustom (someone) to managing without something on which theyhave become dependent or of which they have become excessively fond
WEEN: verb [ intrans. archaicbe of the opinion; think or suppose he, I ween, is no sacred personage.

No comments:

Post a Comment